Underground quarries


Results 1 - 10 of 10

 

La Maison des Pierreux

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Yonne

Musée retraçant avec une collection privée, l'histoire des carrières de l'Yonne.

Ouverture : tout l'été. Il est préférable de téléphoner auparavant.

La Mairie
89440 Massangis

TEL : (33) 3 86 72 85 10 or (33) 3 86 33 85 61

 

Cathédrale d'Images - Les Baux de Provence

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Bouches-du-Rhône

Cathédrale d'Images
Route de Maillane
13520 Les Baux de Provence

TEL : (33) 4 90 54 38 65
FAX : (33) 4 90 54 42 65

http://www.cathedrale-images.com/
contact@cathedrale-images.com

 

Bourré Limestone Quarry

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Loir-et-Cher

Ce site est partenaire des caves champignonières des Roches et des caves Monmousseau.

40, rue des Roches
41400 Bourré

TEL : (33) 2 54 32 35 15
FAX : (33) 2 54 32 56 09

 

Cave of the Dragon

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Aisne

The Dragon's cave is the name which was given by Germans ("Drachenhöhl") to the stone quarry of Creute which they transformed from 1914 into underground fortress with fire stands, headquarters, dormitories, hospital, power plant, chapel etc....
The cave was the stake of violent fights in April 1917, during the battle of the "Chemin des Dames".
In June, 1917, French troops succeeded to occupy a part of it. From July till November, 1917, they cohabited with German troops, separated from the enemy by walls, whereas in surface fights continued.
Recovered by Germans in May, 1918, the cave came definitively under French control in October, 1918.
Since 1999, the Cave of the Dragon has been transformed into a museum. It is a "memory place" where is evoked the daily of the soldiers during five war years.

Opening : From Tuesday till Sunday from 10.00 am till 6.00 pm.
Visits start every 30 minutes.
For groups, the conducted visits only by appointment.
For information and booking from Monday till Friday from 9.00 am till 6.00 pm contact Nathalie Geairain.

Caverne du Dragon
Chemin des Dames
02160 Oulches-la-Vallée-Foulon

TEL : (33) 3 23 25 14 18
FAX : (33) 3 23 25 14 11

caverne@cg02.fr

 

Mushrooms Cellar

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Loir-et-Cher

Culture de Pleurotes jaunes, orangés et gris, de Shii-Také venus du Japon, de Champignons de Paris et de Pieds Bleus.
Site partenaire des carrières de tuffeau de Bourré et des caves Monmousseau.

Ouverture : Ouvert de Pâques à la Toussaint.

40, route des Roches
41400 Bourré

TEL : (33) 2 54 32 95 33

http://www.le-champignon.com
andredelalande@orange.fr

 

Pictures Theatre of Saint Restitut

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Drôme

4000 m2 of pictures diaporama inside the quarry.

Carrière Saint-Just
26130 Saint Restitut

TEL : (33) 4 75 04 59 99
FAX : (33) 4 75 96 76 51

Access : At 6 miles from the freeway A7 (exit Bollene).

 

Sarcophagus Cellar

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Maine-et-Loire

This set is the most ancient human underground site of the river Loire area (France). Indeed, the extraction of the falun stone, a 12 millions years old shells composed rock, dates back to the VIth century.
At this age, sarcophagi were made in this place. Blocks of stone were extracted from the underground quarry and hewed there. This production spread over two centuries and went downhill in the Xth century just before Vikings invasions. During this confusing period, the banked up quarry, has been transformed to an underground shelter by local population.
A troglodytic housing and a stone quarry exploited by tranch (**) assured continuity of population settlement up to the begining of the last century.
An archeological yard, from 1989 to 1996 has permited to make light on technics of extraction and size of sarcophagi during the early Middle Ages. The excavations, has permited to set off 55 000 square feet of extraction area that spread on more than one acre.

(**) Falun stone original technic of extraction which consist in digging a trench in a field to extract lumps of stone. Then exploitation, is done verticaly and widen up to 70 feet deep giving an ogival shape to the extraction room. When the quarry is disused, the trench is simply obturated with lumps of stone. Then the field above the underground space can be still cultivated.

Opening : Opened from April to mid-September all days from 10 am to Midday and from 2 pm to 7 pm.
Off season on meeting.

Philippe Perdereau
1, rue Croix Mordret

49700 Doué-la-Fontaine

TEL : (33) 2 41 59 24 95 or (33) 6 77 77 06 94

http://www.troglo-sarcophages.fr

 

Underground Quarries of Aubigny

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Yonne

The exploitation of underground quarries around Aubigny dates back almost 2000 years. Stones from Aubigny were used in Paris for the construction of monuments like the Opera Garnier, the City Hall or the National Conservatory of Craft...
This site emphasised after half a century of abandonment is devoted to quarrymen, stone extraction methods and stone hewing.

Opening : (paying visits):
- From 10 AM to 12 PM 30 and 2.30 PM until 6.30 PM every day from March 23 to June 30 and from September 1 to November 11. Closed on Monday.
- Every day from 10 AM to 6.30 PM during July and August.
- On Sunday from 2.30 PM to 6.30 PM from March 23 to November 11.

Activity offered in July and August:
- Initiation workshops into stone cuting for a period of 3/4 hour around, from 2.30 PM to 6.30 PM (by appointment only).

89560 Courson-les-Carrières

TEL : (33) 3 86 52 38 79 or (33) 3 86 41 91 90
FAX : (33) 3 86 52 89 87

http://www.carriere-aubigny.com
nicole.carriereaubigny@wanadoo.fr

 

Vignemont Quarry

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Indre-et-Loire

Dans un cadre d'habitations troglodytiques, le visiteur pénètrera par un cavage dans une ancienne carrière souterraine d'extraction de falun. Tout au long d'un parcours de 600 m , il suivra l'histoire de cette pierre depuis sa création au fond de la mer jusquà son exploitation par l'homme pour la construction.
La visite est matérialisée par des tableaux mettant en scène des mannequins avec de l'outillage et des matériels anciens.

52, ter rue des Roches
37600 Loches

TEL : (33) 2 47 91 54 54

 

Volvic Stone House

Category : Underground quarries
Department : Puy-de-Dôme

Ancienne carrière souterraine en galerie, vieille de 700 ans, lieu d'exploitation d'une roche volcanique dite pierre ou lave de Volvic.Circulez au coeur d'une coulée de lave volcanique de laquelle, il y a près de 700 ans, des hommes ont extrait la pierre de Volvic.
Matériau exceptionnel aux applications multiples (taille, gravure, sculpture, émaillage), la pierre ou trachyandésite de Volvic est connue dans le monde entier.
La visite comprend une exposition, un parcours souterrain commenté par une hôtesse-guide, des jeux de lumière, un montage audio-visuel, un environnement de carrière (outillage spécifique).
Une approche concrète du volcanisme, de la géologie, de l'architecture, du patrimoine industriel, des métiers de la pierre, de l'art.

Ouverture : Ouvert tous les jours sauf le mardi de 10 h à 12 h et de 14 h à 17 h en basse saison (du 15 mars au 30 avril et du 1er octobre au 15 novembre).
Ouvert tous les jours en haute saison (du 2 mai au 30 septembre) de 9 h 15 à 18 h.

Association pour la Promotion de la Pierre de Volvic
BP 2
63530 Volvic

TEL : (33) 4 73 33 56 92

 

 


Guide - search