Fortifications


Results 11 - 20 of 53
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6

 

Fort du Murier

Category : Sere de Rivieres fortifications
Department : Isère

Construit entre 1873 et 1878, ce fort était le plus puissant de la ceinture fortifiée de Grenoble.
Il contrôlait l'accès à Grenoble par la vallée du Grésivaudan.
Abandonné par l'armée en 1978, le Mûrier est acheté par la commune de Gières.
Inscrit en 1993 à l'inventaire supplémentaire des monuments historiques, le fort est en cours de restauration.

Ouverture : Ouvert au public :
- Du 1er juillet au 30 septembre les samedis et diamnches après-midi (visites à 15, 16 et 17h).
- Lors des journées du patrimoine (mêmes jours et horaires)
- Sur rendez-vous en téléphonant au musée Dauphinois (04 76 44 78 68)

Mairie de Gières
15, rue Victor Hugo
38610 Gières

TEL : (33) 4 76 89 36 36

 

Fort of Troyon

Category : Sere de Rivieres fortifications
Department : Meuse


Warning: getimagesize(cliches/troyon.jpg) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /mnt/110/sda/f/5/thetunnel/francest/france-ste.php on line 330
Troyon Fort built in 1879 was part of the defensive wall of the river Meuse (defense line established by Séré-of-Rivières along the river Meuse between Toul and Verdun fortresses). The fort was theoretically defended by a garrison of 800 men, it had 6 x 40 mm revolver-guns, 6 "12 culasse" (breech) guns and "Saint Etienne" machine guns for its defense. Its main artillery was composed of 12 x 90 mm guns, 4 x 120 mm long guns positioned on shooting platforms and 2 ancient 150 mm mortars of "Louis-Philippe" model.

In September 1914, the fort had a garrison reduced to 451 men under Captain Heyn. German forces, trying to take the fortress of Verdun by pincers attack broke French front on 15 miles from Bois-le-Prêtre to Eparges via Saint Mihiel (this salient will be released in September 1918). From 8 to 13 September, the fort suffered of bombing from German heavy artillery (including 305 mm Skoda). However Troyon resisted and prevented the crossing of the river Meuse by German forces and the surrounding of Verdun.
In 1918, the fort served as a hospital for U.S. troops involved in the offensive to reduce St Mihiel's salient.

Opening : On saturday, sunday and French national days from 1.30 PM til 6 PM.

Association "Ceux de Troyon"

BP 32
55300 Saint Mihiel

TEL : (33) 3 29 85 89 29 or (33) 3 29 87 71 57

Access : Located between Troyon and Lacroix-sur-Meuse villages. From these villages, follow the roadsigns to the fort.

http://www.premiumorange.com/fort-de-troyon/

 

Fort of Uxegney

Category : Sere de Rivieres fortifications
Department : Vosges

Construit entre 1882 et 1884, ce fort était un élément clé de la place forte d'Epinal constituant avec les places de Verdun et Toul le système de défense mis au point par le général Séré de Rivières.
Ce fort modernisé avant la Grande Guerre a traversé sans dommages les deux conflits mondiaux.
Magnifiquement restauré et aménagé par l'association l'ARFUPE, le fort est ouvert au public.

Ouverture : Visites du 15 au 30 juin et du 1er au 15 septembre le samedi à 14h et à 16h (guidées) et le dimanche de 13h30 à 17h (non guidées).
Visites du 1er juillet au 31 août du lundi au samedi à 14h et à 16h (guidées)et le dimanche de 13h30 à 17h00 (non guidées).

Association pour la Restauration du Fort d'Uxegney
7, rue de la Clé des Champs
88390 Uxegney

TEL : (33) 3 29 38 32 09 or (33) 3 29 31 03 01

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fort-uxegney/
fort-uxegney@wanadoo.fr

 

Fort de Mutzig

Category : German period fortifications
Department : Bas-Rhin

After the War of 1870, Alsace and the Moselle become German. To protect himself from still possible French attacks and to lock the plain of the Rhine, Guillaume II decides to build Mutzig's fort in 1893. Named "Feste Kaiser Wilhem II", this fortified group is built in reinforced concrete to be able to resist to new explosive shells.
On five forts originally foreseen, only two are build : the East Fort (1893) and the West Fort (1895). These compact and triangular forts will be the last German ones built like that. Next organizations will follow the principle of "fragmented" structure : works scattered on the ground, interconnected by underground galleries. Defended with a garrison of more than 6500 people, fort Mutzig is in 1914 the most powerful German fortified group.
The circuit of visit follows the underground parts of the fort (kitchens, well, hospital, electric plant, turrets, observation post, artillery, barracks, bunkers for machine guns) and by the outside parts (shot trenches, observation post, artillery batteries...).

Opening : Saturday and Sunday from May till September and every day in July and August, visits in French start at about 2.00 and 3.00 pm, visits in German starts at 2. 30 pm.
Visit all year by appointment.

67190 Mutzig

Access : To go to fort Mutzig follow the highway A352 and take exit "Mutzig-Dinsheim".
Then follow panels "Fort de Mutzig" until the fort parking lot (at about 1.5 mile from the highway exit).

http://www.mutzig.net

 

Fort de Verny

Category : German period fortifications
Department : Moselle

Built between 1904 and 1910 by Germans "Feste Wagner" was a part of the fortified belt which defended the city of Metz. Its artillery controlled the Seille's valley. Renamed Aisne's Fortified Group by the French army after first world war, this fort is the only one of Metz belt opened to the public.

Ouverture : Visites du site le premier dimanche du mois de mai à octobre inclus. Circuit de 2 h 15, départs à 14 h, 15 h et 16h.
Visite supplémentaire en allemand à 15 h.

Association pour la Découverte de la Fortification Messine
9, rue des Grandes Chaignes

57420 Pommérieux

TEL : (33) 3 87 52 76 91 (samedi et dimanche)

Accès : Le groupe fortifié est situé à 12 kilomètres au sude de Metz.
Accès par la D913 (sorties 28 ou 29 sur l'autoroute A31).

http://www.fort-de-verny.org

 

Fort of Guentrange

Category : German period fortifications
Department : Moselle

This fort was built by Germans after the Moselle region's annexation by German Reich (1870-1918). Defended by a 2000 men garrison "Feste Ober-Gentringen" consisted of two armored batteries, 4 levels staged central barracks and 3 km of underground galleries. Guentrange's fort secured, in extension of Metz fortified place, Thionville city and its important rail junction against any French attack.
This German fort didn't suffer from an attack during first world war and, become French after the armistice of 1918, it was integrated into the Maginot Line in the 30s. Re-occupied by the German army in 1940, it served as equipment dump and workshop and was freed in 1944 by the American army.
The French army used the fort after the war until 1971.
Property of the city of Thionville, the fort is maintained by the "Association of the Fortified Work of Guentrange". This association also makes conducted tours of the site.

Opening : Opened from May 1 till September 30 first and third Sunday of the month from 3 pm.
For groups, conducted tours by appointment only.

Amicale du Groupe Fortifié de Guentrange
2, chemin du Fort
57100 Thionville

TEL : (33) 3 82 88 12 15 or (33) 3 82 58 88 94

Access : Gentrange's fortified group is situated at two kilometres in the North of Thionville's town.
From the highway A31, take exit number 40 direction Bel-Air hospital. Follow the hospital and take in the North Creve-Coeur's ravine which directly leads to the entrance of the fort.

 

Vauquois Hill

Category : Field fortifications
Department : Meuse

This hill situated near Verdun was a place of bloody struggle between French and German from the end of 1914 until 1918. Not successfull in occupying the hill on surface, the two opponents buried themselves deep in the ground and dug many galleries in the heart of the mound to be engaged in a deaf mine war.
Today the association which maintains the site also organizes visits of some galleries on German and on French side.
To notice : the museum related with the mine war which contains a lot of orignal materials found on site during excavations.

Ouverture : Lors des journées du patrimoine ou le 8 mai. Contacter l'association pour des autres dates.

Association "Les Amis de Vauquois et sa région"
1, rue d'Orléans
55270 Vauquois

TEL : (33) 3 29 80 73 15

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/vauquois/
vauquois@wanadoo.fr

 

Mont Dauphin Citadel

Category : Vauban fortifications
Department : Hautes-Alpes

Juchée sur un éperon rocheau, au bord de hautes falaises, la place forte de Mont Dauphin fut construite à l'initiative et selon les plans de Vauban. Elle assurait le contrôle de la vallée de la Durance. Les travaux commencés au XVIIIe siècle se poursuivirent jusqu'au XIXe siècle.
C'est toute une "ville royale" qui vit le jour au milieu des remparts avec son église, ses rues larges et droites, ses maisons - dont les caves voutées en cas de bombardement pouvaient se transformer en abris - ses casernes et sa poudrière.
La forteresse ne connut le baptême du feu qu'en juin 1940 lorsqu'une bombe larguée par un avion italien détruisit la poudrière.
Aujourd'hui la ville est toujours habitée comme en témoignent sa mairie et son bureau de poste. Un bar, un restaurant et un gite sont ouverts toute l'année pour accueillir le visiteur de passage. Quelques artisans ont également élu domicile depuis quelques années dans l'une des anciennes casernes.

Plusieurs circuits de visites guidées (payantes) sont proposées :
- Circuit des fossés et des souterrains (qui des fossés conduissent à l'intérieur de la lunette d'Arçon).
- Circuit du bastion royal
- Circuit de l'Arsenal
- Circuit des casernes
- Arsenal (visite libre)

Opening : The guides' office is opened :
- From October 1 till March 31 on afternoons from 2.00 pm to 5.00 pm. Closed on Monday.
- From April 1 till September 30 all days from 9.00 am to midday and from 2.30 pm to 4.30 pm. Guided tours at 10.30 am, 2.30 pm and 4.30 pm.

Mont-Dauphin

TEL : (33) 4 92 45 42 40


 

Villefranche-de-Conflent - Fort Liberia

Category : Vauban fortifications
Department : Pyrénées-Orientales

Fortifiée dès le Moyen-Age, Villefranche-de-Conflent vit son enceinte fortement remaniée par Vauban au XVIe siècle.
Au cours de ces travaux, Fort Libéria fut érigé sur un éperon rocheux dominant la ville de plus de 200 mètres. Construit en 1681, il fut modernisé sous Napoléon III. Le chemin de ronde du fort, ses galeries de contrescarpe, ses bastions et sa chapelle sont ouverts aux visites ainsi q'un musée archéologique et spéléologique qui été aménagé dans son enceinte. Un souterrain de 734 marches creusé dans le roc assure la communication avec la ville en contrebas.
Sous Louis XIV, le fort servit de prison aux empoisonneuses arrêtées suite à la célèbre affaire des poisons. Elles moururent toutes en captivité.

Opening : From October 1 till May 31 : from 10 am till 6 pm.
From June 1 till September 30 : from 9 am to 8 pm.

66500 Villefranche-de-Conflent

TEL : (33) 4 68 96 34 01
FAX : (33) 4 68 05 21 78

Accès : Villefrance-de-Conflent est distante de 50 km de Perpignan.


 

Saint Roch Major Fortress

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Alpes-Maritimes

Opening : All days except Monday on July, August and September.
On weekends all year.

Association de l'Armée des Alpes

TEL : (33) 4 93 04 00 70

 

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6

 


Guide - search