Tourism on the Maginot Line

 

In spite of the late awareness by authorities about fabulous historic inheritance that are eastern fortifications, in spite of their progressive desolation by the French army, some associations yet persevered and succeeded in restoring many forts.

 

Page 1 2 3

Bichel Sud Shelter

Department : Moselle

Cette abri était conçu pour accueillir une section entière du 167e Régiment d'Infanterie de Forteresse dans des conditions de confort optimales (électricité, chaufage, latrines chimiques etc...).

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/abri_bichel_sud/
bichel_sud@ifrance.com

 

Pont Saint-Louis bunker

Department : Alpes-Maritimes

The AMICORF association of Menton aims to maintain and to open to visits two fortresses of the Maginot line of the "Alpes Maritimes" French department, Pont Saint-Louis outpost and Cap Martin major fortress as well as to let people know the history of these fortresses and the glorious Army of the Alps, with its too often forgotten fights and this for the honor and the respect due to the ex-servicemen.

Ouverture : de juin a octobre tous les samedi de 8h à18 h et les dimanche de 14 h a 18 h. Toute l'année sur rendez-vous.

Esplanade Jojo Arnaldi
06500 Menton

TEL : 06 64 26 34 61

http://pontstlouis.blog4ever.com

 

Saint Roch Major Fortress

Department : Alpes-Maritimes

Ouverture : Tous les jours sauf le lundi en juillet, août et septembre.
Les week-ends le reste de l'année.

Association de l'Armée des Alpes

TEL : 04 93 04 00 70

 

Schoenenbourg major fortress

Department : Bas-Rhin

Consisting of 2 entries and 6 combat blocks, fort Schoenenbourg is the most imposing of the Maginot Line in Alsace.

Office de tourisme de Hunspach
3, route de Hoffen
67250 Hunspach

TEL : 03 88 80 96 19
FAX : 03 88 80 41 46

http://www.lignemaginot.com
info@lignemaginot.com

 

Fort of Bambesh

Department : Moselle

Ouverture : Ouvert au public les deuxièmes et quatrièmes dimanches du mois de 14 h 00 à 17 h 30. Pour les groupes, toute l'année sur rendez-vous.
Visites en Français, Allemand et Italien.

2, rue Pierre Klein
57690 Bambiderstroff

TEL : 03 87 90 31 95 (M Deguglielmo)
FAX : 03 87 90 41 74

Accès : Situé près du village de Bambiderstroff

 

Fort of Barbonnet

Department : Alpes-Maritimes

This big Maginot work was built on an old Sere de Revieres fort.
Since 1980, this fort is being restored by the Edelweiss association and is now opened to visits.

Ouverture : Visites assurées les samedi et dimanche pendant les mois de juillet et août.

Association Edelweiss
Bastide la Dame du Roc
06500 Castellar

TEL : 04 93 04 15 80

http://membres.lycos.fr/fort_du_barbonnet/

 

The Immerhof Major Fortress

Department : Moselle

The Immerhof is a small maginot line fort. Consisting of four combat blocks, it was built from 1930. Operational since 1935, it is put on alert on August 1939. The phoney war is going on without noteworthy action and the fort undergoes its baptism of fire during the western German attack in May 1940. The garrison surrenders after the armistice on June 30, 1940. During the Cold War the fort is rehabilitated and rearmed. The army leaves it after the withdrawal of France's integrated military command of NATO in 1966.
Owned by the town of Hettange-Grande, the fort is open to visits since 1974. The association "Le Tiburce" which maintains and renovates the Immerhof also organizes guided tours of the fort.

Ouverture : Sur rendez-vous ou le deuxième et le quatrième dimanche du mois d'avril à septembre ainsi que les jours féries (à partir de 14 h).

Association "Le Tiburce"
5, rue des Sorbiers
57330 Hettange-Grande

TEL : 03 82 53 09 61
FAX : 03 82 53 09 61

http://www.maginot-immerhof.info

 

The Four a Chaux Major Fortress

Department : Bas-Rhin

This middle size fortress consists of 8 blocks, including 6 combat blocks and 2 entry blocks for 3 miles of underground galleries. It had a crew of 580 men (477 soldiers, 78 non-commissioned officers, 24 officers and the commander).
The height difference between combat blocks and the ammunition entry required an underground ramp, situated directly after the entry.
The fort is named after a nearby lime kiln active in the 1930s.

Ouverture : Du 1er mai au 30 septembre tous les jours (visites guidées à 10 h 30, 14 h, 15 h et 16 h).
Du 1er octobre au 1er novembre, tous les jours (visites guidées à 14 h et 15 h).
Le reste de l'année les samedis et dimanches (visites guidées à 14 h 30).

Office du Tourisme de Lembach et Environs
23, route de Bitche
67510 Lembach

TEL : 03 88 94 48 62 (Four à Chaux)
FAX : 03 88 94 20 04

http://www.lignemaginot.fr
info@ot-lembach.com

 

The Infantry Fortress of Bois de Bousse

Department : Moselle

Commené en 1931, le Petit Ouvrage du Bois de Bousse fut achevé en octobre 1934. Il s'agit d'un ouvrage d'infanterie de classe moyenne. Lors de la mobilisation de 1939, l'ouvrage était occupé par 138 hommes et 4 officiers. Ceux-ci mettaient en oeuvre, 12 mitrailleuses (dont 2 sous tourelle), 28 fusils-mitrailleurs (dont 23 sous cloches cuirassées), 3 canons de 47 mm et 6 mortiers de 50 mm. L'ouvrage était une véritable ville souterraine avec cuisines, douches, caserne et l'alimentation en électricité se faisait grâce à des groupes électrogènes diesels.

Visites du Fort (en français et en allemand) pour les individuels, tous les premiers dimanches du mois, d'avril à octobre inclus de 14 h 00 à 18 h 00, pour les groupes toute l'année sur rendez-vous.
D'une durée d'une heure trente, la visite guidée vous fera découvrir successivement, le bloc d'entrée, la galerie principale, la caserne, les cuisines, la salle des fresques, la salle des moteurs et le bloc de combat n°2. De plus, un sentier pédestre vous permettra de découvrir les extérieurs du fort.

O. Terver

Fort aux Fresques
1, rue de la Fontaine
57320 Hestroff

TEL : 03 87 35 77 96
FAX : 03 87 35 74 39

 

Saint Ours Bas Valey's museum

Department : Alpes-de-Haute-Provence

Musée consacré aux fortifications de la vallée et à la vie des soldats au sein de ces fortifications.
La visite du musée est couplée à celle du fort Saint Ours Haut.

Route d'Italie
04540 Meyronnes

TEL : 04 92 81 03 68

 

Page 1 2 3

 

The Maginot Line on the web.
A few photos about the Maginot Line frescos

 

 


Retour