Results 31 - 40 of 53
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6


Infantry Fortress of Rohrbach

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Moselle

Foreseen initially like an artillery fort endowed with 8 combat blocks (5 artillery blocks and 3 infantry blocks), of the budgetary restriction fact, the fort only includes 3 infantery blocks constructed in 1935. The crew of 166 men made part of the 166th RIF.
To counter the sudden German attack, on June 15 the fort makes shootings to support fortifications situated on the west of the position (the Welschhof, and stand-alone blockhouses).
The enemy comes closer and June 22 attacks the III block directly. The Germans make direct shots to the machine gun and the cannon opening, but the artillery of the Simserhof disperses attackers.
Germans renew their attack the 24, but, they must beat again in retirement when the Simserhof opens fire. The fort's crew doesn't quit the fight that to the armistice.
Admirably restored by the association Fort Casso, the visit of this place is very interesting because guides have very good knowledge concerning fortification. All is explained (working of insiders  hand grenade launchers, height of kitchen sinks! ...)
Arming : 2 cannons of 47 mm, 3 cannons of 25 mm, machine guns and light machine guns of 7,5 mm.

Opening : Visits start at 3 PM on Saturdays and Sundays.

57410 Rohrbach-lès-Bitche

TEL : (33) 3 87 02 70 41 (répondeur)

Access : Freeway A4 take exit Sarreguemines to Bitche direction. From Rohrbach, the itinerary is indicated.


Infantry Fortress of Villy-la-Ferte

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Ardennes

This work is one of the rare Maginot Line forts taken by assault by the German army in May 1940.
All the crew of this work dies by asphyxia during the fights.

Opening : Opened Sundays and on holidays from June to the end of October and all days except Monday in July and August.

08370 La Ferté

TEL : (33) 3 24 22 14 55 (M Noël) or (33) 3 24 22 61 49 (M Courtaux)


Pont Saint-Louis bunker

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Alpes-Maritimes

The AMICORF association of Menton aims to maintain and to open to visits two fortresses of the Maginot line of the "Alpes Maritimes" French department, Pont Saint-Louis outpost and Cap Martin major fortress as well as to let people know the history of these fortresses and the glorious Army of the Alps, with its too often forgotten fights and this for the honor and the respect due to the ex-servicemen.

Opening : from June until October on Saturday from 8 AM til 6 PM and on Sunday of 2 PM til 6 PM. All year on appointment.

Esplanade Jojo Arnaldi
06500 Menton

TEL : (33) 6 64 26 34 61


Saint Gobain Major Fortress

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Savoie

Ouverture : Le samedi de 14 h 00 à 17 h 00 d'avril à octobre.

Association du Musée de la Traversée des Alpes
Rue Jules Ferry
BP 45
73500 Modane

TEL : (33) 4 79 05 16 52


Saint Ours Bas Valey's museum

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Alpes-de-Haute-Provence

Musée consacré aux fortifications de la vallée et à la vie des soldats au sein de ces fortifications.
La visite du musée est couplée à celle du fort Saint Ours Haut.

Route d'Italie
04540 Meyronnes

TEL : (33) 4 92 81 03 68


Saint-Agnes Major Fortress

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Alpes-Maritimes

Mairie de Saint Agnès
06500 Sainte-Agnès

TEL : (33) 4 93 35 84 58


Schoenenbourg major fortress

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Bas-Rhin

Consisting of 2 entries and 6 combat blocks, fort Schoenenbourg is the most imposing of the Maginot Line in Alsace.

Office de tourisme de Hunspach
3, route de Hoffen
67250 Hunspach

TEL : (33) 3 88 80 96 19 or (33) 3 88 80 59 39
FAX : (33) 3 88 80 41 46


Simserhof Major Fortress

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Moselle

The Simserhof is the most powerful fort of Bitche area. It has been constructed between 1929 and 1933, but it was onlyt finished in 1938.
It includes 8 blockhouses, 2 entrance-blocks, 18 pieces of artillery and 6 anti-tank cannons. Crew, is formed of 800 men taken from the 153rd RIF (light weapons), the 150th RAP (artillery), the 1st RG (diesel motors and electricity), the 15th RG (railroads) and the 18th RG (transmissions).
One week before the declaration of the war, the place is operational.
During the "strange war" its activity limits itself to sporadic duels of artillery against the German cannons situated on the other side of the border.
In May 40, the blitzkrieg explodes to the west, the French lines are driven. June 14, 40, Germans pierce through the Saar and attack forts of the Maginot line to reverse.
The Simserhof cannot prevent the fall of the Haut-Poirier and the Welschhoff, situated out of range of its artillery.
On the other hand, with its guns, it reduces to nothing all tentative of attack enemy against Rohrbach's fort. Close to 15 000 shells are pulled in 4 days.
After the armistice, the work is occupied by Germans who transform it in deposit of munition.
They entrenche there in December 44; it will need to one week and the heavy weapons of two American infantry divisions to dislodge them.
After the war, the French army restores the fortress and puts back it in state of working. It will remain functional until the beginning of years 70. Now opened to the public, the Simserhof's fort a very complete museum about the artillery of fortress.

Arming : 4 x 135 mm howitzers, 4 x 81 mm mortars, 8 x 75 mm guns, 4 x 47 mm antitank guns, 2 x 37 mm guns, many 7,5 mm machine guns and light machine guns.

Visits are done in only 400 m of galleries (upon 5000 m of galleries dug in that work).

57230 Siersthal

TEL : (33) 3 87 06 16 16 (Office du tourisme de Bitche)
FAX : (33) 3 87 06 16 17

Access : Situated near the city of Bitche.


The Fermont Major Fortress

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Meurthe-et-Moselle

Built between 1931 and 1935, Fermont is a big artillery fortress made up of seven combat blockhouses, a crew entrance and an ammunitions entrance. It's the Northern artillery fortress of the Maginot line. Restored by the association Friends of Fermont fortress, it's opened to visits since 1977. The welcome infrastructures are imposing : fortification museum in the M1 ammo depot, outdoor museum with three outstanding artillery turrets taken from another fort, which domes were removed to better reveal their inner elements. Visits are led promptly with the sound of the loudspeakers broadcasting recorded informations in several languages. That misses a little of conviviality, but to handle 30 000 guests a year, a certain organization is needed. Eventful act, some years ago, the galleries of Fermont were use as set for the film "Purple Rivers 2".
The photography lover attracted by the opportunity of nice shots should pay out more than 100 E if he wants to satisfy his passion. Too bad!

Association des Amis de l'Ouvrage du Fermont et de la Ligne Maginot
9, rue Albert-Lebrun
54260 Longuyon

TEL : (33) 3 82 39 35 34
FAX : (33) 3 82 39 26 46


The Four a Chaux Major Fortress

Category : Maginot Line
Department : Bas-Rhin

This middle size fortress consists of 8 blocks, including 6 combat blocks and 2 entry blocks for 3 miles of underground galleries. It had a crew of 580 men (477 soldiers, 78 non-commissioned officers, 24 officers and the commander).
The height difference between combat blocks and the ammunition entry required an underground ramp, situated directly after the entry.
The fort is named after a nearby lime kiln active in the 1930s.

Opening : From May 1 until September 30 all day (guided tours at 10.30 AM, 2 PM, 3PM and 4 PM).
From October 1 til November 1, al days ( guided tours at 2 PM and 3 PM).
The rest of the year on saturday and sunday (guided tours at 2.30 PM).

Office du Tourisme de Lembach et Environs
23, route de Bitche
67510 Lembach

TEL : (33) 3 88 94 48 62 (Four à Chaux) or (33) 3 88 94 43 16 (Office du Tourisme)
FAX : (33) 3 88 94 20 04


Page 1 2 3 4 5 6


Guide - search